Saturday, January 10, 2009

My daughter's Native American Legend

My 8yr old daughter had to write an Native American Legend for school- she worked really hard on it, she is still doing the illustrations for it, and it is due on Monday. By the way she made this up all on her own. I thought I would share it with you, actually she is excited for me to put it on my blog. Here it is & let me know what you think. If you want to see a picture of her, check out my flicker site, we have some with her in her Halloween costume & with her new puppy. By the way she is in second grade & has to tell this to the whole class as part of her project.


HOW FOX GOT HIS NAME
There once was a village called Tatoosh, it meant the land of happy people.
The village was peaceful until one day things started disappearing.

The chief was angry so he told his son to watch over the village and find out who was stealing their things. The boy watched the village from a high tree until nightfall, he didn’t see anyone. Everyone had stayed in their huts to protect their belongings. Then he found out the thief was coming during the night. The next day he came up to his father and said “the thief is coming at night, oh how well I see at night.” His father summoned the great spirits and changed him into an owl. He waited until night came, then he flew to the top of a tree, and watched.

Finally he saw a creature (no name.) The creature had orange fur and a long bushy tail. He walked on all fours, crouched close to the ground. As he stole some specially prepared Salmon, he noticed an owl up above him. “Hello” he said, do not tell anyone about this. The Owl nodded his head, as the sun started to rise. He then transformed back into a boy. The boy climbed down from the tree, and started to run toward his fathers hut. The creature (no name) ran after him, and tied him up, put a piece of cloth around his mouth so he could not speak. He brought him back to his village, Quana he’ ke’.

The village was strange, but the boy could not figure out what made it strange. The creature (no name) took him into his hut. When the creature (no name) uncovered his mouth, the boy spoke and asked “ why are you stealing our things, & what are you? He answered “we need these things for our village, …I have no name”. I will give you a special gift, if you let me go & return to my village with me. After he thought for awhile he agreed.

They proceeded to the boys village. They went to the chief’s hut. He shows no harm father. I promised him a special gift and he has agreed not to steal from us any longer. We shall have a powwow and give him his special gift at that time.

They announced to the village that they would have a powwow that evening. Everyone got ready - they began. Finally they decided that they would name the creature (no name) - fox which means sly in their native Tatoosh language.

Fox was so happy that he announced he would never steal from them again, only come to visit and stay friends.

5 comments:

Baroness Bijoutery said...

Very nice..thank you and your daughter for sharing this. I would really love to see her give this presentation to her class....

SleightGirl said...

That's cool! I love reading all those old legends. I think she deserves and A!

rhino said...

that was fantastic! i cant wait for the illustrations :)

Unknown said...

I thought that was great :) I'd give it an A as well.

halloweenie, smile! said...

Wow, what a great story! Looks like we have a writer in the making! :)

Kimforbeads